Having a BBQ this weekend? Why not try this quick and easy Mexican beef, a great way to spice up your regular steak. The salad is fresh and filling and also takes very little time to prepare. Perfect for entertaining, or a quick weekday dinner.
Mexican-style beef with sweet corn salad
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp paprika
½ tsp chilli flakes
1 tbsp olive oil
600g/1.3 lb lean beef rump steak
2 corn cobs
1 red capsicum (pepper), chopped
½ red (Spanish) onion, chopped
1 avocado, chopped
¼ cup/10g fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves, roughly chopped
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1. Combine the cumin, paprika, chilli flakes and olive oil in a shallow dish. Add the steaks, turning to cover in the spice mix. Allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
2. To make the salad, remove the outer green leaves from the corn cobs and BBQ, steam or microwave the corn for 4-5 minutes or until kernels are cooked through, allow to cool. Once cooled, carefully cut the corn from the cob and place in a bowl. Combine the corn, capsicum, red onion, avocado and coriander leaves. Stir through the lime juice and set aside.
3. Grill or BBQ the steak and serve with the sweet corn salad.
Note: For the marinade, you can substitute a 35g/1.2 oz packet of taco seasoning for the cumin, paprika and chilli flakes.
- This recipe, plus other BBQ friendly meals, is from my latest book Eat Right For Your Life, why not pick one up or order online as a Christmas gift for a food-loving friend!
- If you like this recipe, you can subscribe to my free newsletter at the bottom of this page for more nutrition updates and recipes, or follow me on Facebook or Twitter.